ATCO Urban Pipeline Replacement Program
ATCO will be in or around your neighbourhood this spring to upgrade the natural gas distribution system while coordinating with the City of Calgary’s Southwest Bus Rapid Transit Project.
These projects are a part of the Urban Pipeline Replacement (UPR) Program which modernizes the natural gas network and adds capacity to meet the growing demand for natural gas in Alberta’s largest centres. The installation of the new gas lines will employ all the latest technologies available and will meet or exceed building and construction standards to ensure continued safe and reliable natural gas service.
- A copy of the postcard which ATCO is distributing to approximately 6000 residences in the area is attached.
- ATCO’s communication plan involves informing stakeholders in the area including Community Associations, The City of Calgary and the public via email, website, twitter updates, signage and 311.
- This project will include the installation of a new low pressure gas mains along 14 Street SW between 75 Avenue SW and 90 Avenue SW. The majority of the project will be constructed in the median of 14 Street SW.
- ATCO is committed to minimizing noise levels and traffic impacts throughout the duration of the project. Potential impacts include construction noise during regular work hours, reduced lane widths on 14 Street SW, reduced speed limits on 14 Street SW near the construction area, and limited off-peak lane closures on 14 Street SW.
- As part of this project, ATCO will be installing temporary street lighting in 14 Street SW north of Heritage Drive SW and rehabilitating the median with a road base in coordination with the SWBRT project, as well as abandoning the existing high-pressure natural gas line currently located under 14 Street SW.
- Installing a new high-pressure natural gas line into the Southwest Calgary ring road.
- ATCO is coordinating its construction with the The City of Calgary’s SW Bus Rapid Transit (SW BRT) project to ensure a cost-effective solution with the least possible disruption to residents and commuters.
- There will be no natural gas service interruptions for residents.
- The estimated completion date for this work is September 2017, weather permitting.
- This work, along with the SW Calgary Connector Project will enable the high-pressure transmission line running adjacent to 14th Street SW to be abandoned in 2018.
For more information on this project, please click ATCO. You may also contact toll-free 310-5678 or email UPR@ATCO.com.